Coleman Valley Road is known as the most beautiful road in Sonoma County. Shanti is located directly on incredible Coleman Valley Road and only a short two-mile drive, bike ride or a lovely traffic-free walk from the magical hamlet of Occidental with its eclectic shops, famous restaurants and locally-owned organic food market.
The drive on Coleman Valley Road from Occidental to Shanti affords beautiful views of Mount Saint Helena and the surrounding Mayacamas Mountains to the east. But it is further west that attracts so many visitors. The remaining eight miles from Shanti to the ocean are a shockingly narrow, curvy and spectacularly panoramic drive unparalleled in Sonoma County. Forested landscapes of a varied ecosystem of deciduous oaks, Redwoods and Douglas firs give way to sudden vistas of boulder-strewn meadows and the sometimes fog-shrouded ocean that stretches into eternity. The drive to the coast takes about 35 minutes, but you’ll stop to take pictures all along the way. This is the number one scenic attraction of the area, and directions are easy: Just take a left out of our driveway!
In addition, Shanti is neighbors with the highly acclaimed Occidental Arts and Ecology Center (OAEC), Western Hills Garden, Willow Creek Nature Preserve with its miles of hiking and biking trails, dozens of wineries, Osmosis Day Spa with its Cedar Enzyme Bath, The Union Hotel and Negris Italian Restaurants, local cheese shops, The Wildflour Bakery, Barley and Hops Brewpub, zip lines, archery, kayaking and canoeing. We are in the epicenter of an outdoor lover’s paradise.
Sunshine, Trees & Air
The area around Occidental is gracefully (and gratefully!) populated with ancient Redwood trees. These gorgeous behemoths unfortunately impart a great deal of shade to many houses below. Thankfully, Shanti is located on a ridge on the site of the original farmhouse of the area, probably chosen for its location in the midst of three natural springs. Many Redwoods were probably cleared here many years ago. The result is a glorious sunny home, vacation rental, orchards and pasture. Occidental’s microclimate is coastal and cool with fog in the summer mornings. Elizabeth guarantees that you will be very happy for Shanti Occidental’s sunshine especially if you visit us in the winter months.
Shanti is situated on the edge of the great Northern California Redwood temperate rainforest. We have deliciously sweet ocean air, abundant sunshine and 6.5 acres of ponds, trees, meadows and gardens. This is the site of the first farmhouse of the area with good reason. There is ample water from the three natural springs and a cleared pasture hillside for grazing or growing crops.
Things to do at Shanti
- Relax in the gigantic seven-foot hot tub under the grandmother Old Growth Redwood Tree
- Swim, meditate, fish or throw sticks to Elizabeth’s Field Spaniels Libby and Lucy in the pond
- Swing in the hammock in your private backyard
- Get a professional massage from Elizabeth on site
- Seasonally pick fresh vegetables, herbs, berries and fruits to make your own meals
- Gather eggs from the chicken coop for your breakfast
- Practice yoga on your private deck or with Elizabeth, who has practiced and taught yoga since 1991 (by arrangement)
- Learn archery on the backyard hillside and practice shooting arrows at our targets (by arrangement)
- Listen to the sounds of birds in the surrounding trees and frogs in the pond. There is no noise pollution at Shanti!
- Farm to Table Dinners at Shanti
- Gaze at the stars at night across the Shanti sky with absolutely no light pollution
- Read books, take naps, make love
- Play tennis or golf at nearby Northwoods Golf Course or the courts at the Occidental YMCA.